Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mojacko recommends: Minsan Pa

I saw a glowing review of Jeffrey Jeturian's "Minsan Pa" starring Ara Mina and Jomari Yllana a few years ago but I didn't see the movie because I'd been burnt before by a few Filipino movies that had rave reviews only to come away disappointed. And the controversial break-up of the lead stars prior to the movie's opening felt like a cheap promo that made me resolve to stay away from it entirely. Now, it turns out the break-up wasn't a gimmick and the movie was indeed deserving of the praises heaped upon it.

I rented the Vcd copy on a whim to view with my sis and mom one lazy Sunday and I was so blown away by this 'simple' unconventional love story. And having Cebu as the setting had me running to the computer to recommend this gem to my Cebuano uncle. Armando Lao crafted a lovely story and the direction of Jeffrey Jeturian brought out a sensitive protrayal from Ara Mina who appears almost without any make up and has never looked so beautiful. The movie comes with subtitles so my Fil-Am and Fil-Canadian relatives can watch it without having to ask "what's going on?" every other scene.

The only bad news is that it flopped at the box office and it's almost impossible to get a DVD in the video stores. I actually had to contact its producer, my email friend Joji Alonso, and buy it from her law office.

Some of my officemates saw it being aired on cable but got bored because it does start kinda slow and soem of the dialogue is in Bisaya so they got tired of reading the subtitles. I told them next time, keep watching because the payback is so worth it.

No comments:

linkwithin

”related
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...